School History

McKissick Elementary School

Written by Fourth Grade McKissick Quest Students in June, 1989. (Jay Dunn, Jennifer Fisher, Beth Furr, Meg Hunnicutt, David Knight, Adam Kolkowski, Jenny Nicholson, Tim Pressley, and Nikki Speed.)

McKissick Elementary was built because three schools were old, rundown, and overcrowded. The three buildings at Alice, Arial, and Northside were small neighborhood schools built in the early 1900's. There were people moving to the neighborhood who wanted a modern learning facility. Pickens County School District made plans to build McKissick Elementary.

In 1973, McKissick School was built by the Triangle Construction Company. The original plans indicated that three sections were going to be built. Mr. Glenn Turner, the principal, didn't want the three buildings because students would have to go outside in the rain, sleet, snow, or hail across two buildings to get to the cafeteria and activity areas. So, they compromised by building separate pods housed under one roof. The educational facility has such an unusual shape because the school district wanted flexibility in grouping the students. The school was named after the McKissick family because they did so much for the other three neighborhood mill educational institutions.

McKissick opened in the fall of 1975. The first year began with 37 teachers, five aides, two secretaries, three custodians, six lunchroom personnel, and one bus coordinator. The school commenced with 850 students receiving 130 students from both West End and East End. Due to the mill schools closing, McKissick received all the students from the principal of the three mill schools. The highest enrollment was 893 in the spring of 1978.